The inspiration board is an excellent way to gather, organize and share your ideas.
Whether you have a color scheme in mind, or you start with a blank slate, the inspiration board will help you simplify the creative process.
- I decided what kind of board you are going to use – traditional or digital? If you prefer to make your own, you will need a blank sheet of cardboard (size A3 or higher is ideal) and a bit of double-sided tape, or a cork board and some pins. If you like the idea of creating a digital inspiration board, try Pinterest. It is an excellent bookmarking tool that allows you to organize, preserve and save images and ideas online.
- If you do not know how to start, try an object that you like. It could be a piece of furniture, a sample of colors or your favorite garment. Put it in the center of the board.
- Now it’s time to use your imagination. Browse magazines and use online resources, such as blogs and Pinterest, to collect some images that awaken your imagination. Also, it may be useful to get samples of fabric, paint, and wallpaper with distributors in your city.
- Allow yourself to play. Organize the images and samples on the board and observe them together. How are they linked to the main image? How do they combine colors with each other? If you are working on a real board, do not hit anything until the end – in this way, you can change your mind on the fly.
- Once you created the board that you like, take a picture (or print it if it is online) and use it to choose the paintings and furniture. In this way, you will have a visual image that will serve as a reference to create your dream space. Inspiration boards are an excellent way to experiment, so trust your instincts and more importantly, have fun.